Friday, June 6, 2008

fly


fly, originally uploaded by andyrobe.

yesterday i had my first experience in snorkling. uncle mike, uncle steve, and cousin jess were scuba-ing, and cousins chad, shawn, and i were snorkling. we had to take off through the waves and breakers to get out to the area we wanted. i am not a swimmer. not at all. i love the water. i just don't swim well. i had my flippers, and my head gear, and i had my vest on, completely inflated. ready to take on the world. it really was a lot of fun. once i got my head underwater everything was so peaceful. there is really not much to see here on the gulf of mexico. i watched a jelly-fish for a few minutes. i really enjoyed that. unfortunately about five minutes later i was stung on the leg by one. apparently they didn't think i was all that neat. after fighting our way back to the beach against the tide i just wanted to collapse on the each. believe me, i had a blast. i just wanted to prove to myself that i could do it. i was just exhausted by the end of it. and a little sea sick. the scary thing is that a couple hours later the coast guard came flying by and there were sirens going up the road. in a minute the helicopter was back and they sat maybe twenty feet above the water and motioned everyone out of the water. apparently there were bad rip-tides around. they had saved ten people in the last hour. pulling them out of the water. point of the story... if i conquered snorkling my first time in such conditions. i think i'm ready to try it again any time. that's all i'm sayin. love the beach. sad we have to leave.

2 comments:

Christy said...

that picture makes me nervous...she really is flying. What an incredible shot! Can't wait to see you guys. It's unbelievable that it's only been LESS than 2 weeks. I don't think we'll survive the 4 years away...

Happy traveling...

Anonymous said...

great picture. I am still in England and still missing everybody.